My business card says "Paula Moyer, CD(DONA)." This means I am a certified birth doula through Doulas of North America or DONA (www.dona.org).
As with most doulas, there's a story that led to the certification, and the story starts before we even called ourselves doulas! I supported my first birth in 1986, when I volunteered to serve as a friend's "second companion." I then went on to serve as a volunteer companion with Childbirth Education Association from 1989 to 1993. Although I had to say a sad farewell to this calling and focus on my own family and my "day job," the experience never left me.
In 2016, I joined DONA and began the path toward certification. My training and experience include the following:
- Certified birth doula, Doulas of North America or DONA (www.dona.org): July 25, 2018-present
- DONA birth doula workshop: October, 2016
- Internship, Health Foundations,: February-May, 2017.
- Hypnobirthing® for childbirth professionals: July, 2017.
- Spinning Babies initial training: October, 2017.
- Volunteer birth doula, Twin Cities Doula Project: October, 2017-present.
- Future: Midwife Assistant Workshop, The Farm, Summertown, Tennessee: November, 2018.